Saturday 3 October 2020

Review: A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

The movie was better.

It's not often that I prefer the movie over the book, but it's also not often that I like chick flicks and the movie of this novel really got to me.

So honestly it was a bit sad that this book didn't have the rich details that the movie did.

That's what it comes down to, ultimately - not enough detail.

For those who don't know the plot, the story is told by Landon, who is a bit of a rebel. His dad hasn't been around so he's a bit reckless and wild, and also sometimes quite a jerk. Then he gets to know Jamie, daughter of the local pastor, and suddenly things begin to change.

There's also this secret that Jamie has, and the movie kinda spills halfway through, whereas this book left it to the last minute which ended up being frustrating. But I think if you haven't seen the film it will be a real gut-wrenching twist that will give you all the feels you want from a Nicholas Sparks book.

I'm not usually into the mushy stuff, but I do really love how this relationship plays out. I love Jamie and how she treats everyone, and there's no pretence to it. She's just such a loving soul, and the way Landon begins to change, just by knowing her, is actually pretty beautiful.

But the novel is short so it doesn't quite expand on the love story and so the ending feels a little abrupt and unsatisfying.

Overall, it's not a bad book - the characters are great and the story is sweet, but it just wasn't enough to win me over after the brilliance of the film.

Read the book before you see the film and you'll probably rate it a lot higher.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment