Wednesday 28 October 2020

Review: Sour

Sour Sour by Tony Evans
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars.

The creep-factor on this one is seriously high.

It's chaotic and fast-paced almost the entire way through, with only a brief lull in the middle to relate a little backstory on witches. But then when it picks up again it's even crazier than before and WOW. It was hard to breathe towards the end there.

I really enjoyed the first part, in which Sam and his friend Anthony take on a witch and her crow minions in a small cabin. I loved how it jumped straight into the action and never let up; I loved how it wasn't just violence - there were mind games, too. Mostly I just love how evil this witch is. *shudder*

It's a short story at only 158 pages, so it packs in a lot of action at the expense of background details. I didn't mind it, but I would have enjoyed a little more on the history and lore and that mysterious black book.

One thing that did begin to frustrate me, though, was all the similes. There were a few too many for my tastes, and while they were rather creative, at times it stunted the action for me instead of enhancing it.

Overall, though, it was a disturbing story that made for compulsive reading. I enjoyed the atmosphere of it, and while Sam made some utterly idiotic decisions, it led to some rather fascinating events.

Not for the squeamish, but otherwise horror lovers should be thoroughly entertained.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment