Wednesday 12 October 2022

Review: Nimona

Nimona Nimona by N.D. Stevenson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Yes, okay. I thought I wasn't going to like this but it's actually pretty frickin epic.

The art style didn't draw me in at all but a sassy shape-shifter working as an evil sidekick seemed like my kinda thing so I gave it a go and it really did suck me in!

Nimona has such a wicked attitude and I loved her entire being. On the surface the whole story seems quite childish to begin with, but as the story progresses the characters depths are revealed and we get to see a lot of heart. Nimona is easily the star, but Blackheart does have his own merits.

It was so refreshingly different and I liked that it was very basic and almost nonsensical in plot. It borders on the absurd, so you have to just take everything as it is without really overthinking it. If you want deep world-building, you'll be sadly disappointed.

If, however, you're looking for a girl who frequently rampages as various animals, you should be as delighted with it as I was.

There are actually some surprisingly deep themes here, so it's not childish by any means, but it's equally the kind of story that readers of all ages should enjoy.

I was quite surprised at how easy it was to read, and how fast I breezed through it.

Highly recommend!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment