Friday 17 March 2023

Review: Batman: Hush

Batman: Hush Batman: Hush by Jeph Loeb
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Was really drawn to the artwork of this one, and it carried me through.

The story involves all of Batman's villainous enemies coming out of the woodwork at once, clearly manipulated by a mastermind behind the scenes. Said mastermind appears to be a figure with a bandage-wrapped head and a brown trench coat.

I did really enjoy seeing so many bad guys in one place. There are also plenty of hero guest appearances, and a lot of allusions to events that have come before in the general Batman canon so I'm glad I had a little background knowledge. It's the first time I've met Bruce's 'best friend', Tommy Elliott, though. I was very suspicious of him haha. Still, he introduced that more human element that Bruce so desperately needs - helped him stand out as a man instead of just his vigilante persona.

The pacing worked for me, with plenty of action cushioned by story and character exploration. There's a bit of focus on the Batman/Catwoman relationship and it was actually kind of nice to see them working together here instead of just constantly annoying one another.

The twists as to the identity of the man in bandages really confused me, to be honest. I could not keep the story straight and so instead of it being a clever plot move, it just muddled things for me. I'm still not sure what the conclusion was or why everything went the way it did. So in terms of the actual story I liked the journey but not so much the conclusion.

Overall, I most enjoyed the artwork and the inclusion of so many familiar characters. I enjoyed reading it, and there are notes in the back regarding all the hidden details in the artwork so that will be especially fun for collectors, art nerds and the curious.

A decent addition to Batman's legacy and a worthy inclusion as one of the more popular Batman titles.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment