Monday 27 March 2023

Review: Gideon Falls, Vol.1: The Black Barn

Gideon Falls, Vol.1: The Black Barn Gideon Falls, Vol.1: The Black Barn by Jeff Lemire
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

All kinds of wild, this one.

The artwork here didn't work for me at all - I'm not a fan of gritty and grainy - and the stylised stuff really did my head in. It's very clever, but my head really struggled to put some of the pieces together. Literal pieces, in some cases. But others may appreciate this style and its incredible contrasts.

Story wise, though, this was pretty out there. There's a mysterious 'Black Barn' that is haunting people and causing multiple deaths ... somehow. Totally bizarre.

I was hooked on the story, though, with its dual protagonists - the new priest investigating with the locals, and the crazy man who is maybe not so crazy. It's an intriguing, dark mystery and things travelled along at a decent pace, with a cliffhanger at the end of each issue. Kept me invested, that's for sure.

This is quite a unique graphic novel, so if you're looking for something a little more out there, this could be a fun place to start.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment