Monday 12 August 2024

Review: The Dead Cat Tail Assassins

The Dead Cat Tail Assassins The Dead Cat Tail Assassins by P. Djèlí Clark
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Lynnette R Freeman
Presented by RB Media


A really fun read enhanced once again by Freeman's narration.

This is my first from this author but certainly won't be my last. It had a perfect blend of action, fantasy, and wit, and Eveen is tough and sassy but not obnoxiously so. Exactly the kind of blend I like.

The story follows our assassin, Eveen, when she's tasked with a kill she finds she can't carry out. It's one of the unbreakable rules, though, so trouble will inevitably follow if she doesn't commit the crime.

I don't quite know what I was expecting from this one, but it certainly wasn't what I got. This was funny and fast, and strayed into some interesting corners. The characters were delightful and I liked the variety.

The narration was fantastic, just as it was with the last book I listened to with this narrator (The Poisons We Drink - Review Here). I love the way she brings the story to life and infuses characters with personality flawlessly. She gives these characters their own unique voices so brilliantly that if you told me this was narrated by multiple people, I'd believe you. I didn't think I'd ever be the kind of person to choose a book based on narrator but you can bet I'll be looking for anything this woman does from now on.

Admittedly, with this being audio I did zone out a little more than I would have liked, but I'd happily listen to it again - it was just that fun.

Solid story, fun characters and superior narration. Happy to recommend this one to fantasy lovers and audio fans!

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment