Thursday 29 August 2024

Review: Leave the Girls Behind

Leave the Girls Behind Leave the Girls Behind by Jacqueline Bublitz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Thought-provoking, but a little too jumbled to hit as hard as it could have.

Another novel that focuses on the women behind crime, this book follows Ruth as she investigates the three women that may be connected to the murder of her friend 19 years ago.

I did enjoy the angle and I really love the way this author considers the impact of murder from multiple angles. There's some interesting insight here into the women vs women mentality that is so common in today's society, and I really enjoyed turning those thoughts over. Ruth is not a perfect heroine - her thoughts are flawed and coloured by her own traumas, and so it was interesting to try and read between the lines of what she was saying and doing.

That said, involving the other women did make this feel rather complicated, and it was hard to keep the stories straight. There seemed to be a lot of questionable coincidence, and I lost the thread a few times.

The writing was wonderful and lyrical, with some beautiful phrases and a powerful atmosphere, particularly where we met Rose. I did enjoy losing myself in the language, even if the story felt a little stilted.

I felt the idea was really clever and the themes important, but I think ultimately it was too much to keep straight. It was beautifully written for what it was, but I feel the important parts got lost a little bit in an over-complicated story.

Not quite the follow-up I'd hoped for after the standout debut, Before You Knew My Name but still some solid ideas here with beautiful writing. Worth a shot for the crime fans looking for something a little deeper.

With thanks to NetGalley for an ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment