Saturday 2 December 2017

Review: Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down Turtles All the Way Down by John Green
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

You know what I really enjoy? Thinking about thinking. The mind is such a wonderful mystery, and it holds so much power over our lives. I love contemplating how much of 'I' is 'Me' and the soul vs body etc; there is just so much about life to unravel and the mind is such a big part of that.

So I totally get Aza. I understand her spirals (to a degree) and I think she raises some really interesting questions. But I also think the better mystery in this novel is, how many of Aza's thoughts make her mentally ill, and how many are totally justified?

Now, I'm no psychologist (three years at uni were enough to deter me from that particular path) but I can understand that Aza definitely has some compulsive behaviours. I wonder how OCD people receive this book? Because I thought it was a beautiful portrayal but then I'm on the outside glancing in. I just appreciate the divide between being 'normal' sometimes but feeling 'crazy' at other times. And I think that's something everyone can relate to on some level. I'm sure we've all had moments where we wished we were just like everyone else. I feel ya, girl.

That being said, I also empathise with Daisy, who loves her best friend fiercely but can also admit that the nuances drive her mad at times. I think the important takeaway is that (view spoiler) And I think that's a pretty beautiful message.

The whole mystery angle is a bit weak, with it appearing more as bookends to a quirky romcom about mental illness rather than a quirky mystery starring a mentally ill girl. This book is about relationships, and mental illness, and that's kind of it. I enjoyed reading it, it just wasn't the book I was expecting.

I did have some real feelings moments, but honestly I was probably driven more by how interesting the trains of thought were. Like, I'm kind of afraid that the next time I kiss a boy I'm just going to be thinking about germs. Hmm. Guess I'll let you know.

I did, however, LOVE the relationship between Aza and her mum. I mean, maybe I'm biased because my own mother is so wonderful, but I love reading about compassionate mums. I relate to it. I think mums are totally underrated in YA fiction.

I'm sorry I didn't cry in this book but to me it was far more fascinating than it was emotionally demanding. I loved following the spirals of thoughts.

Another thought-provoking read from John Green, with a decent diversion from his usual formula, though the quirkiness is familiar. I am content with the way the subject material was explored.

Now excuse me while I go find a boy to kiss. For science.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment