Sunday 1 July 2018

Review: Journey of a Lightworker: A Collection of Personal Stories from Lightworkers Around the World

Journey of a Lightworker: A Collection of Personal Stories from Lightworkers Around the World Journey of a Lightworker: A Collection of Personal Stories from Lightworkers Around the World by White Light Publishing House
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Mixed feelings here!

WARNING : This review is full of hippie-thoughts, and if you're not keen on spirituality you might as well walk away from both this review and this book right now.

The world is so full of dark at the moment that it's actually quite comforting to know that there are generous souls out there who are motivated to change it for the better by bringing light into the lives of others. The accounts range from beautiful and heartwarming to utterly bizarre.

Each story relates one Lightworker's experiences: the past that led them on this journey, and how, today, they are working to make the world a better place for those living in it. There is a common theme of dark pasts; physical, sexual, verbal and substance abuse, addiction, trauma, near-death experiences, deaths of loved ones etc. The authors discuss how these dark experiences changed them, taught them, and helped them to become who they are today. Some of these stories were truly gut-wrenching, and it's evident how selfless these people are from the way they write about the things they do. Some of them had me close to tears because I could feel that past pain and yet recognise the light that has come from it. I really, really appreciated these stories, and I'm grateful such honest accounts have been shared.

As mentioned, though, I have mixed feelings. Perhaps it's simply because some are stronger writers than others, but some of the stories felt false to me. Not as though they were fictional, but that the author was holding back, or skipping over important details. In scenarios like that, I found it harder to appreciate the message of 'love yourself' and 'be yourself completely' etc. because to me it felt as though the author wasn't following their own advice.

There were also some stories that blew me away with their absurdity. Again, it's not disbelief in the occurrences, but the lack of meaning behind them. Some things were stated without support, and I found myself thinking of some of the schizophrenia cases we studied in my uni days. It's one thing to be inspired to greatness by visions and interactions with beings like angels, but it's another to claim all these interactions without explaining what their purpose was. I guess a lot comes down to delivery. If we consider Joan of Arc - she was inspired to greatness by the 'voice of God'. Whether she actually heard God or not is irrelevant, really - she went on to do incredible things. If, on the other hand, she just went around telling people that God spoke to her directly, it would be a lot harder to swallow and honestly you probably wouldn't like her very much.

Some of the accounts were more about preaching The Way of the Light, rather than giving any personal background, and I skimmed these ones because they didn't draw me in. I liked the ones that made me feel triumphant that a lightworker had been born from such darkness; the stories of people who overcame insurmountable odds to become the inspiration they are today. I wasn't particularly keen on the ones who talked about their material achievements, because it seemed rather shallow in light of the subject matter.

Overall, I enjoyed most of the accounts, and surprised myself by actually reading this one all the way through. I am a person who wants to do my part to change the lives of others for the better, so this was quite insightful in places, and helped me think about what sort of path I want to take myself.

Take it with a grain of salt, and like everything in the world of spirituality, read what seems to resonate with your soul. If it doesn't work for you, let it go.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment