Wednesday 25 July 2018

Review: The Power Is Within You

The Power Is Within You The Power Is Within You by Louise L. Hay
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is basically a simplistic version of The Power of Your Subconscious Mind so I rather enjoyed it!

The premise itself is simple: Change your thoughts, and you can change your life.

It's about not seeing yourself as a victim but learning from every experience, whether good or bad.

It promotes gratitude, and the notion that what you put out into the universe comes back to you in kind, often magnified. So if you treat people like crap, guess how you're going to be treated?

I love this idea that our thoughts are the driving force behind what happens in our lives, and I work actively to alter mine every day. It's not about not having bad thoughts, but being able to recognise and alter them. You don't have to be perfect, you just have to want to be better.

One thing I noticed, though, is that this book assumes a lot about the reader, which I can see has been influenced by the author's own circumstances. The book seems to be aimed at an older readership - 50+ I would say. It does cover how to nurture children (skimmed it) but for the most part it seems to target that older readership.

It also seems to assume that every reader had a troubled childhood, with horrible parents. I found it really difficult because my childhood was actually pretty good, and my parents have been such incredibly supportive, loving role models. I've certainly overcome obstacles in my life, but I like to think I can still be a better person without having to overcome a dark past.

Overall, a really easy guide on how to begin changing your thoughts, and the benefits this behaviour will have on your life. Just be aware you may have to take some of it with a grain of salt.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment