Tuesday 17 July 2018

Review: Summer

Summer Summer by Edith Wharton
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

WHAT THE FRENCH FRIES.

THIS STORY IS TERRIBLE.

Charity is instantly unlikable, but I began to appreciate her straightforwardness and ballsiness.

She's lazy and selfish, though, and speaks terribly to people.

She's also totally naive.

Harney is a classic, predictable charmer and I kinda instantly disliked him because of where I assumed this was gonna go. I liked that he cared about the books, though. Respect, brother.

Royall is repulsive and I was so disgusted by his hitting on the girl he basically raised as his daughter. Like, I know things were different in the 'olden days' but damn, this was way too weird for me to be okay with it.

This story has some serious issues and I am so disturbed by it.

The writing was pretty in places, though, and conveys a very clear picture of summer in a small town. I'll admit it: the writing is actually okay. Predictable in places, but I tell ya what: I did NOT see myself being so disturbed by this book. The repulsion I feel after reading it suggests its actually a pretty decent slice of writing.

Plot though: minus a billion stars.

If you like classics that are totally messed up, by all means, go for it.

What a freaking mess.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment