Monday 10 September 2018

Review: Two Dark Reigns

Two Dark Reigns Two Dark Reigns by Kendare Blake
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

PHWOOOOOAAAARRRRR!!

WARNING: This review contains spoilers for the previous two books of the series.


This series honestly just keeps getting better. It's so dark and twisted now! I was not expecting such fantastically macabre things from a ya fantasy about competitive queens.

So the third book opens with a mini history lesson, which was fun. I love when we get dark pasts that affect the present. That historical thread was probably one of my favourite aspects of this novel. It made the whole story level up and created a new, intriguing dynamic. I was so frustrated for Arsinoe that it took so long to convince people she wasn't just dreaming. It should just be common knowledge that if you dream something more than once you need to accept it as the message it inevitably is.

At the end of the second book, here's where we stand:
-Mirabella, Arsinoe and Billy are on the mainland
-Jules is with the war-gifted
-Katherine is queen and possessed by innumerable dead queen spirits
-Pietryr still has the worst name in the whole book and I'll never remember how to spell it. Oh, and he's still Kat's right-hand man. Even though it's his fault she's possessed. I don't get that. *shrugs*

Arsinoe on the mainland is hilarious. She's definitely my favourite queen because she grumbles about everything, hates wearing dresses, and refuses to show affection. She's basically me. Billy is devoted to her no matter what, and it's interesting to see the interaction between his family and the exiled queens but it doesn't pack much of a punch. It's mostly just filler - a diversion before we get to the good stuff. I thoroughly enjoyed imagining the tea parties, though.

I've always loved Mira's feisty-ness but it seems paled a little here. Possibly because, on the mainland, her powers are somewhat muted. It's like she's lost a little piece of herself, and I liked how that was reflected in her behaviour. It made me a little sad, though.

Katherine is becoming more and more badass and I love it but I wish she'd embrace it more. She's still trying to Do The Right Thing but she's got these evil queens circling around inside her so things keep going awry. I kinda wish she'd just accept it and go total Evil Queen. I guess it's good that there's hope for redemption, though. *sigh*

Jules is being recruited to lead a rebellion which is a fun surprise! She's pretty tough so it's interesting to see how she approaches the suggestion and still maintains her integrity. Sort of. Camden is kinda my favourite part of Jules, though. I'm just so jealous because I want my own mountain cat to be my bff and claw my enemies to shreds when they deserve it. I love the animals in this book. I want an exotic pet.

Peitiryr of the Terrible Name is still an annoying little brown-noser who is more of a lapdog than an equal. I honestly don't know what Kat sees in him. Also if I, as a reader, am supposed to be enamoured with this guy? Honestly the only fella I'm digging in this series is Billy, and even he doesn't have quite enough pull to make me swoon. Piet- you know what, I'm just gonna call him P-Diddy- P-Diddy spends most of this book running around telling Kat what to do but backing down meekly when she objects. I just do not like that guy. Not one bit.

Did I mention the series is getting darker? I mean, there are some gruesome things, and people die and stuff. It can get messy. I LOVE that. I'm such a psycho. But I love that this is so dark and twisted and nothing is safe and I have absolutely no idea how this is going to end. Not a clue. There was less magic in this one but I feel like that aspect was just the calm before the storm, and I sense the final book is going to be one epic finale. I'm so excited for magical showdowns.

I love the way this series is written. It always takes me a few pages to get into the present tense, but once I'm there it's such an easy read. There's always something happening.

This series isn't slowing down and I'll be anxiously awaiting the fourth book! In the meantime I'll have to track down the short stories.

With massive thanks to Pan MacMillan Australia for my advanced copy!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment