Friday 8 February 2019

Review: Draekora

Draekora Draekora by Lynette Noni
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

**Re-Read Feb 19**

I HAVE SO MANY EMOTIONS

PREPARE FOR RAMBLING.

NIYX

This is possibly my fave book in the series and it's mostly because of this guy. Niyx is one of my fave characters ever. He's snarky and fun and savage and flirty and ultimately a great guy who is BFF material. He melts my heart. I LOVE YOU NIYX. His pet name (haha) for Alex is the greatest and just melts me even more.

There's also a lot of fun in getting to know all these characters that we met and liked okay in book 2 but haven't really heard much about. Meya is a fun world too and who doesn't love magic elf power?

I HAVE SO MANY MIXED FEELINGS OVER AVEN THOUGH WHY DID YOU MAKE ME FEEL THIS WAY LYNETTE NONI?????

Also, Xira is just the cutest THANG.

So look basically the characters in this book are my life and I love them with all of my heart and said heart is certainly squished and bruised and slightly shredded but HEY I'M TOTALLY OKAY LET'S MOVE ON TO RE-READING GRAEVALE SO WE CAN PROPERLY DECIMATE THIS OVERWORKED HUNK OF QUIVERING MUSCLE IN MY CHEST.

This has been another emotional response review.

***

Original Review

I'm so depressed that this has only just been released and now I have to wait for the next installment all over again! It's gonna be a looooooooong wait!

In this third novel in the series, we travel away from Akarnae and spend some time in Meya. It's quite a beautiful diversion from the previous two books, as it allows us to get to know new characters and fully appreciate the story that's been lurking in the background until now. There's plenty to learn in this new realm, and Alex handles it all with her trademark sarcasm and gracelessness. The stakes are much higher and her naivety does get a little frustrating at times, but it's well balanced with her wit and the constant ribbing from her companions. It's easy to get swept up in her emotions, particularly as her feelings towards others transform.

There's not much I can say without spoiling things, but suffice it to say this is a fantastic continuation of the series. It can seem a little slow in parts, with little movement from the Meyarin setting, but there's still plenty of action and the hits keep coming. The introduction to the world of Draekora was an absolute delight, and I look forward to hearing more about its inhabitants in following novels. It was also nice to get away from the Harry Potter-esque schoolroom antics. This story has really taken off on its own, compared to the obvious HP influence of the first book.
This novel tugged my heart much harder than I anticipated. The pain still hurts. Hopefully the next novel can repair some of the damage!

(view spoiler)

Review for Akarnae here
Review for Raelia here

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment