Monday 11 February 2019

Review: Enchantée

Enchantée Enchantée by Gita Trelease
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

THIS IS BASICALLY A GENDER-BENT, FRENCH ALADDIN AND I AM IN LOVE <3

Things you should know about me before reading this review:

-Aladdin is my favourite movie of all time
- I'm obsessed with anything French
-My favourite genre is fantasy
-I can be highly cynical when reviewing books

So basically this had all the elements of a book I should enjoy, but if it had been written terribly, this would be a scathing, 1-star review.

HAPPILY NOT THE CASE.

I loved it.

I was a little worried at the beginning, because for some reason I hate reading about poverty? That whole gnawing hunger, would-sell-my-hair-for-table-scraps desperation is just not something I like to read about. I think possibly because of how uncomfortable I am thinking about being that destitute. I mean, I like to talk about how poor I am and everything but I have a steady supply of bread and 2-minute noodles so really I have nothing to complain about. Whereas facing the harshness of real poverty when it was commonplace is something that bothers me. Also, it makes me hungry.

So yeah, the opener was a bit scary. Camille is working pathetic magic to make ends meet for her and her sister but their older brother is drinking it all away and getting aggressive. So depressing. Poor kids.

Enter the handsome Lazare and his merry band of aeronauts, who are obsessed with trying to get their own hot-air balloon up and running. He's a fun distraction from Camille's growling stomach and the heavy weight on her shoulders so Grace a Dieu for Lazare.

Still, it's time for Camille to take action and what better way to get rich quick than to gamble? "Genie, (aka magic), I wish you to make me a fancy Baroness." So off she sneaks to Versailles and what do you know, this book officially reaches French Fever status.

Did I mention I'm obsessed with anything French? Apparently I'm more obsessed with Historical French. Which makes perfect sense since this obsession sprung from my love of The Three Musketeers. But my obsession also led to me travel to France last year and I LOVED EVERY SECOND and now I like to be reminded of that trip as often as possible.

Versailles is absolutely stunning.

It's a magnificent palace filled with splendour and gold and art and is just *happy sigh*. This book brings it to life again, fills it with aristocrats instead of tourists and paints a picture of what the palace was once home to. I loved it so much.

That's probably my favourite thing about this book: It brings Paris and Versailles to life.

Even the Place des Vosges came alive for me, allowing me to fondly remember my own walk around the square. How I'd love to go back and picture this story taking place! This novel shows places so vividly, so even if you haven't been to Paris, you'll be able to picture it rather well as it was in the late 1700s.

There's also a fabulous cast of characters, from the handsome Lazare to the fun-loving aristocrat, Chandon, and the delightfully snarky Aurelie. Seguin is an intriguing, mysterious fellow who instantly repulses, and then there's the pathetic figure of their useless brother, Alain. There's more, of course, and I love them all.

All the gambling did make me a little anxious at times I must admit. I actually love gambling, but I always have a safe limit. How can these reckless people wager everything?! Guh, my anxiety skyrocketed through those scenes. But there are also parties and things as well so it's generally a lot of fun being in this rich world.

There is a lot of French in the writing, which felt like maybe too much for the story but which I absolutely loved. Especially when I knew what it said (There is a handy glossary at the end, though, for those who are unfamiliar with Francais). Naturally, I have reinstated my Duolingo lessons after reading this. I love the language. It seems a little strange in places, since they're supposedly speaking French anyway, but I don't know how many people this will be a problem for because it certainly wasn't for me. To me it helped it feel more real, in a way. Also, very French. Did I mention this tiny French obsession that I have? :D

The story is a little long, but there's still plenty to entertain and it does all come together neatly at the end. I was impatient to get to the glitz and glamour of Versailles so my single complaint would be the depressing and slow start. The magic was a little underwhelming, as well, but I appreciated that it took kind of a backseat to the story. It actually slotted in nicely, I thought.

Overall, this book captivated me pretty quickly and I'm so glad it was as brilliant as the blurb made it sound. I loved it with all my French-loving heart.

Many thanks to Pan Macmillan for my ARC.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment