Sunday 10 November 2019

Challenge Check-In

Not gonna lie, reading challenges are HARD.

The actual reading part, not so much, but reading specific books when I keep acquiring so many amazing new ones? Man there is just not enough time to read them all.

So naturally I've fallen a few weeks behind on my #Dymocks52Challenge refined.

Here are the books on The List that I still have to read:

1. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (AA)
4. Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
7. The Narrow Road to the Deep North - Richard Flanagan (AA)
10. The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt
11. The Husband's Secret - Liane Moriarty (AA)
12. The Martian - Andy Weir
16. Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
19. Reckoning - Magda Szubanski (AA)
22. The Historian - Elizabeth Kostova
24. Wool - Hugh Howey
32. The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart - Holly Ringland (AA)
34. A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

So that's 12 books to go, and only 8 weeks left of the year. Not a worry if I focus exclusively on these titles, but I have some seriously exciting stuff waiting to be read!

Here's the top ten vying for my attention:


1. The Red Sphinx - Alexandre Dumas

I started reading this one back in April and have severely neglected it! It's an 800-page monster meaning its not one I can carry around in my bag, so it's been constantly shunted aside for smaller books. Considering it's an unofficial sequel to my favourite book of all time, I really need to make a solid effort to finish this before the year is up.

2. Five Dark Fates - Kendare Blake

This is the fourth and final book in the Three Dark Crowns series and I'm a little obsessed. It's dark and full of magic and poison and characters that do horrible things. My kind of fantasy. I'm hoping for a pretty epic showdown to end things!

3. Salvation Lost - Peter F Hamilton

I read Salvation a little while ago and it was incredible so very much looking forward to reading this newly released sequel. Not usually a sci-fi gal but this one has me hooked.


4. The Power of Positive Thinking - Norman Vincent Peale

Who would I be without my motivational books? This one comes highly recommended so I've been meaning to read it for a while, and I'm really hoping to get to it before the year is up.

5. The Chain - Adrian McKinty

I actually won this a while back and feel bad for neglecting it for so long! It sounds like it's going to be a fantastic thriller and I imagine it'll be something I read in minimal sittings.

6. Midnight in the Graveyard - Anthology

I started reading this with fellow horror-lovers in a Goodreads group and it is chock-a-block full of spine-tingling goodness. It's actually the first time I've ever purchased an e-book (since I read e-books so rarely I usually just stick to freebies). I've been lucky enough to be part of group discussion with 25 authors and it's absolutely fascinating to hear more insight into these little gems as I read them. 

7. Snake Island - Ben Hobson

An Aussie crime novel I'm expecting big things from. This one has been talked about since it released so I'm keen to join the discussions on this one.

8. Godsgrave - Jay Kristoff

I read Nevernight earlier this year and rushed out to buy this sequel the day after I finished it. Yet it's been neglected in favour of challenge reads and ARCs. I need to find out the truth about what happened to Don Tric! So let's all cross our fingers this one makes it into the last eight weeks of the year, too.

9. Weapon - Lynette Noni

Speaking of sequels I've been dying for, this one is just waiting to happen. High chance it'll be overlooked for a few months, though, since I'll need to re-read the first book so I can remember what happened. The down side to reading fresh series books is that painful wait between installations.


10. Deeplight - Frances Hardinge

This one promises gods and monsters and the media release considers it a cross between Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea and Frankenstein so guess who is already expecting big things? Love me some monsters. 

***

I've been so lucky this year with book wins and publishers spoiling me with ARCs of some of the most incredible books. I intended to read less so that I could be more productive outside of my book lover life but it's absolutely impossible with so many fantastic books being put out into the world! I'd love to get back on track with my challenge, of course, but I'm easing a little of the pressure because reading is supposed to be fun. So I'll get through those 12 books eventually, but it might take me a little longer than I anticipated.

The beauty of it is that I'll have a better understanding of my reading habits when I do it all over again next year. XD




No comments:

Post a Comment