Friday 15 November 2019

Review: Five Dark Fates

Five Dark Fates Five Dark Fates by Kendare Blake
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well this sure was full of some dark twists and turns!!

The fourth and final book and can I just address the fact that this is called FIVE Dark Fates when
a) we haven't had FOUR anything yet
b) there are three queens - four if you count Jules - so whose fates are we talking about?

Also YES I have read this book and still have no idea which five fates this book is referring to. But YES there are some dark ones. Yikes.

WARNING: This review contains uncensored spoilers for the previous three books in the series.

SO!

Look, I can't remember my feelings towards Jules way back in book one but MY GOD SHE'S ANNOYING. Where did she even come from? Why is she even part of this story as anything more than Arsinoe's sidekick? And don't even get me started on Emilia. I got NO TIME for these whiny, 'I am super important' ladies right now. Go arm wrestle or something.

I think it hurt most because Arsinoe is such a sass queen but these two girls reduce her to an eager-to-please shell. She's so much more interesting when she's just doing whatever the heck she wants and pretending she has zero feelings for Billy who is obviously the love of all of our lives. Bless you, Junior.

Mira has been a fave from the start and while she's still pretty badass, she's gone a bit more, 'I love my sisters no matter what' and it's all a little too high-road for me. Where is the back stabbing and the fire and storms and general mayhem? *sigh* Tell you what, though ... (view spoiler)

QUEEN KATHERINE THE UNDEAD IS A SAVAGE. Again, not quite as villainous as I wanted but she's so creepy and dark and I just have the greatest fun picturing her as this pale, nasty, venomous QUEEN. I still don't get her love for P-Diddy though?? Girl, he pushed you down a chasm. Why you still like him? Poisoners, man. *shakes head*

All in all it felt a little slow and underwhelming - not quite the grand finale I was hoping for - but it still had some fantastic dark moments unexpected thrills and chills. Everything felt pretty neatly tied up, and I am content with this ending.

I still want more, though.

Spin off, please? :D


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment