Monday 2 December 2019

Challenge Review: Crazy Rich Asians

My #dymocks52challenge book 26/38, for week 40.

Title: Crazy Rich Asians
Author: Kevin Kwan
Published: 11/6/13
First appearance in 101: 2019 (#38)
Years in 101: 1
2019 101 ranking: #38
Rating: 3 stars

Why I chose this book:
This one came to attention with the recent release of the film, and I'd say the film release is the reason this book made it into this year's 101. The previews suggested a light, funny read, so I picked it as a fun addition to the list.

Thoughts:
Disappointingly bland and stuffed full of way too many details about food, clothes and genealogy. Plus Nick is kind of an idiot. A lot of it went way over my head, and while I enjoyed the drama there was a lot of other superfluous detail to wade through, making the end result a bit of a chore.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
I notice that a film release will always give a book extra credit, and I suspect the film is responsible for this 2013 release making it on the 2019 Top 101. The book itself was far too dense and dull to feature in its own right, but a film takes away the work of picturing people, places and food so you can identify with the story more. Once the film fades from minds, we're unlikely to see this book on the list again.

No comments:

Post a Comment