Sunday 29 December 2019

Challenge Review: The Historian

My #dymocks52challenge book 27/38, for week 41.

Title: The Historian
Author: Elizabeth Kostova
Published: 14/6/05
First appearance in 101: 2010 (#63)
Years in 101: 2
2019 101 ranking: -
Rating: 4 stars


Why I chose this book:
The Historian has been sitting unloved on my shelf for several years, so this was a good excuse to finally pick it up. Another one whose size intimidated me. It hasn't made the 101 since 2013 but since I already had it on my shelf it made the cut for my challenge.

Thoughts:
It was a real tough slog to get through it but in the end I did enjoy it! The timeline jumped around a lot and there were stories within stories which did get a little tedious, but the extensive information on Dracula and the hunt for his tomb was absolutely fascinating. I'm pleased I finally got through it.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
This one is too time consuming for fair-weather booklovers but rich in detail with a unique writing style. It's probably a bit too heavy for the 101, but it has a lot of merit. It's definitely the kind of book that will leave a lasting impression.

No comments:

Post a Comment