Sunday 22 December 2019

Review: The Sea of Monsters

The Sea of Monsters The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was just as much fun as the first one, with a fresh batch of monsters in an entirely new setting.

The first one focused a lot on the gods, where this one is MONSTERS GALORE at sea which was totally fine by me. Here there's focus on re-telling a very specific hero journey: anyone heard of Odysseus? The beauty of this series is that while it's re-telling things, it's also referencing the original stories. It's the polite thing to do, really! Also, lover of The Odyssey over here.

There's also the fun intervention from gods and the like, plus our trusty sidekicks with a new friend along for the ride this time.

I love the way this series takes the old gods and myths and brings them into a modern setting, with respect to the old legends. If you're familiar with the Greek myths, you'll get a kick out of trying to identify who the newcomers are before Percy figures it out.

Plus there's the same non-stop action and variety that made the first one so entertaining. The story moves at an exciting pace, making this an easy, fun read.

It's actually a pretty addictive series so I'm glad I bought the box set of this one! I'll be on to the third pretty soon, I imagine!

Highly recommend, but make sure you read the first book first, to avoid some pretty massive spoilers cropping up in this one.

My review for The Lightning Thief is HERE.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment