Wednesday 5 October 2022

Review: The Glamourist

The Glamourist The Glamourist by Luanne G. Smith
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This series is just a really fun, easy listen.

I mean, I do speed it up to 1.5/2 because of how many pauses the narrator takes, and how long she takes to say things, but I still really like the character she puts into the performance. I'm just an impatient person.

This is book 2 in the Vine Witch series, and switches the focus to Yvette - the murderess who helped out Elena in the previous book. Now she's running around the city trying to discover her own witchy power, whilst also running from the law.

I really like Yvette. She's a bit of a spitfire and she's fiercely independent so she doesn't really take crap from anyone. Yet she's still humble enough to ask for help every now and then, and more so when the helper is a cat. That's right, folks - the star of this book is actually a cat. An exaggeration, perhaps, but this fun feline will have you feeling warm and fuzzy in no time, and have you rooting more for Yvette simply because he is.

The story has some pretty common tropes, but I still really loved the magic of it all. This one definitely dials up the magic, compared to the first book, and I really enjoyed getting into that. It did flick into a realm I didn't expect, but I still thoroughly enjoyed going there.

The narrator does an excellent job of conveying the different characters without putting on too ridiculous a voice. It makes it very easy to listen to and if you're the kind of person to immerse yourself in the audio (as opposed to me, who is always trying to multi task when I listen) you should find this to be a thoroughly enjoyable romp through a magical story.

Actually pretty keen to round it out with the third book!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment