Monday 17 October 2022

Review: Mythago Wood

Mythago Wood Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A wonderfully unique fantasy novel that probes the boundaries of the imagination.

The mythological aspect of this story hooked me completely, and yet the majority of these myths were so foreign, or spun in such a unique way, that I could never predict what was coming.

The story sees Steven returning to his family estate, where his brother has taken over the work of their father in exploring the mysterious wood that lies on their doorstep. Strange people and creatures have been sighted, and the wood seems to have a life - or several of them - of its own.

I really enjoyed how darkly whimsical this was. There's a unique blend of psychology and mythology that brings this story to life, and it's all set in the creepiest wood I've ever read about. The atmosphere of this novel is heavy with malice, and I enjoyed how there was danger lurking even when Steven was 'safe' at home.

The creatures that live in these pages are magnificent - inspired by myths, but mutated into something threatening and grotesque. There are also what I believe to be novel myths - otherwise myths I've certainly never heard of. I enjoyed reading about these old legends that were completely new to me, and seeing how they transformed into something tangible within the wood.

The obsession with Guin was a bit disappointing (why is it always men obsessing over a woman?) but I guess there had to be a driving motivation somewhere and what motivates more than love? But it still bothered me that, if you strip away all the fantastic, novel ideas of this story, it ends up just being the same old story of a man driven to do extreme things all in the name of love.

Still, there was plenty of other bits and pieces to keep me entertained, and there's enough of a grim vibe that it almost feels necessary to read on.

The dark fantasy of this really won me over, and this fantastical wood where all manner of creatures and myths lurk was such a character itself. I loved journeying through it with these characters and witnessing the various transformations.

An exceptional fantasy story with an element of horror that will stay with you for the duration. A fantastic read and one I highly recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment