Tuesday 2 January 2024

Review: Beautiful Darkness

Beautiful Darkness Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Sweet cheeses, this was so messed up and I LOVED IT.

A psychotic, water colour fairy tale whose comparison to Lord of the Flies is rather apt. Watch these tiny people tear each other apart in the most disturbing ways.

One of my graphic novel highlights for the year.

I love the fairytale illustrations and the cuteness of the art, and how it contrasts so starkly with the darkness of what's happening. The characters are oozing cuteness so that when the behaviours get a little twisted you almost have to re-read to confirm you did indeed read what you just read.

The main character is just as awful as the rest but somehow still garners our sympathy. As the story progresses and darkens, so too does her character and it is this that contributes to the addictive nature of the story.

Honestly loved it from start to finish, and I don't see it leaving my mind cleanly any time soon.

Highly recommend for those looking for a darker graphic novel that's a little different to most.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment