Saturday 27 January 2024

Review: The Rewilding

The Rewilding The Rewilding by Donna M Cameron
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A gorgeous, poetic novel that considers the state of the world through the eyes of a wild girl and a city boy on the run.

I enjoyed the language of this novel more than anything - some of the phrases were so elegant I really lingered over them, and as someone who often skips over paragraphs in favour of getting to the action, this was no small deal for me. I just really loved the feeling these words invoked.

The story is mostly ecological - Nia's the climate action warrior putting her life on the line for Mother Earth, while Jagger is the city boy on the run from the company he's just dobbed in. If you're the kind of person who believes climate change isn't real, this book is not for you. If, on the other hand, you're intrigued by the changes, this novel will provide fascinating insight while presenting an exciting story that travels the eastern coast of Australia.

At first, I wasn't particularly sympathetic towards either character. Nia is a wild radical, and Jagger seemed the snivelling kind of rat. But as the story progressed and we saw more, I did warm up to them. I'm glad for the way their stories progressed, although towards the end it didn't feel quite as organic as I'd hoped for.

This novel definitely focuses more on nature than the protagonists, I felt, but it didn't upset me too much. Rather, it felt like a reminder to appreciate the earth a little more myself; gave me the urge to go outside, feel the breeze on my skin and the sunshine on my face. I think that's a great reminder to get - especially for us book nerds!

All in all, the story was absorbing and had me thinking about things I don't often take the time to consider. The characters worked well together, and the adventure was a lot of fun. Highly recommend.

With thanks to the author for a copy

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment