Friday 16 February 2024

Review: You'll Never Know I'm Here

You'll Never Know I'm Here You'll Never Know I'm Here by Kiersten Modglin
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Yikes.

This audiobook was narrated by Stacy Gonzalez who was ... enthusiastic. I enjoyed her storytelling but it also stressed me out a bit because she seemed so breathless for most of it.

This was a pretty quick audio listen, though the story was a little thin. It revolves around a group of online 'book influencers' who have decided to meet up in person in the middle of nowhere. Because that would definitely be my first pick when meeting online friends for the first time.

I did enjoy the group coming together and getting to know one another in person - I think that's something a lot of us with online friends will relate to. Lena had some interesting delusions about Ethan, and it was a bit of a weak plot point, but it did mix things up a bit I guess. Wasn't looking forward to everyone coupling up but the group seemed to get along in general so the dynamics worked okay.

The murder plot is super thin and I never felt the thrills I think it was trying to deliver. I feel like close inspection would reveal some gaping plot holes - I found the way police dealt with things to be quite questionable and it soured me a little towards the story. I wanted better twists and stronger moments that swept me up in the story, but instead I had a lot of questions about the way things were playing out.

Overall, it just seemed a little weak to me, and the final reasoning for everything put me off completely. It was such a weird angle to take and I didn't buy it one bit. But I hadn't been blown away by the rest of the story so I was already disappointed by the time I got there.

An easy listen, but not particularly strong. I didn't hate it, but it won't be one that stays with me.

With thanks to Netgalley for an audio copy

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment