Tuesday 13 February 2018

Review: The Apartment

The Apartment The Apartment by S.L. Grey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well damn, this was creepy as f***

I mean, it starts out a little dull and vague but it's the vagueness that draws you in and keeps you reading. Even though it's not particularly action-packed, there's this driving need to figure out exactly what's going on, and what we're missing.

The Paris apartment is totally creepy. I myself intend to visit for a holiday in just over two months and I have to say, this raised all kinds of worries about my trip that I'd never considered. Just that notion of being isolated in a foreign country, surrounded by unhelpful strangers, added an extra level of chills to the story. (I'm hoping the creepiness of this story will have faded by the time I go there, though.)

And you know what? The apartment itself is not actually that haunting - it's just run down. It's more like a modern day horror - living without wi-fi and a proper coffee machine. Oh, the terror!!

It's just so mysterious. Clearly something weird is going on but how does it all relate?

I confess, I didn't like Mark from the get-go. I like brave characters and this he was not. Steph definitely wears the pants in the relationship and I loved her for it, though I got frustrated when she put up with all his crap.

The fun(???) thing about thrillers like this is that you wonder how much is legit supernatural occurances and how much is in the mind of the protagonist(s). I suspected a little PTSD but the story keeps you questioning and there's that slow leak of facts and happenings that draw you in no matter your theories. I'm not entirely sure I enjoyed reading it, but I certainly couldn't stop.

I don't even think the story was that great but it's left me with a serious case of the willies so I've gotta give it props for that. It also gave me some mad cravings for coffee.

Not exactly a fast-thrills horror story but a distinct creepiness and mysterious happenings will keep you hungry for an answer. Don't get too excited about the Parisian setting - there's very little about quaint cafes and beautiful boutiques and minimal reference to the Eiffel Tower - but it does offer a unique darker glimpse at the city of romance.

... and now I'm off to find something ridiculously cheesy to read.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment