Monday 12 February 2018

Review: Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well it was no Six of Crows but it was still a pretty fun read!

It was slower to get into but once it got rolling I enjoyed it. I actually really liked The Darkling! I expected him to be the evil villain but then he was all shy and considerate and helpful and I kinda fell for him a bit. (view spoiler)

Alina was okay but definitely could have used more sass. I mean, I liked that she said what she thought but she did also start mooning over The Darkling pretty quick. I mean, I don't blame you, girl- dude's got game! but it took away from the sass and that made me sad. I'm also a bit confused about how her power works (come on, guys, it's not a spoiler, it's in the blurb, ok?). Like, it seems to be heat and light but the sun is pretty powerful so does she modulate it or does it not burn her because she's weak? I think it just could have been explained better. Same will all the -aki Grishas - they all mingled together and were confusing to keep track of and I was thankful I read Six of Crows first so that I kind of had an idea of what things were but wow. So much magic. So much confusion.

The general plot was a bit familiar - orphan discovers super magic powers, goes to special facility to train, is teacher's pet - but I still kinda enjoyed it? I guess that's why the formula is repeated in so many fantasy novels - it works. I missed Mal, though.

I can't say too much more without spoilers and who can be bothered hiding them all but let me just say it was a decent, not-too-much-of-a-cliffhanger ending that still makes me want to read the next one. I'm also still kinda waiting for one particular character to show up coz okay maybe I spoiled one or two things for myself by reading SoC first but *shrugs*

So now I have to go buy the next one. *sigh* I need to stop reading first books and actually finish some of these series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment