Sunday 5 July 2020

Review: Aurora Burning

Aurora Burning Aurora Burning by Amie Kaufman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Ahhhh CRAP.

I knew I wasn't gonna like how this ended.

THIS IS SOME HECTIC SPACE SHENANIGANS.

You know that blank, empty sound of space? That is my mind right now trying to put my feelings into words.

I fail.

WARNING: This review will definitely contain untagged spoilers for the first book in the series.

CHARACTERS!

Tyler
I think that if we weren't given chapters from his POV, I'd probably find him unbearable. Because he's such a soldier! But I really enjoy hearing the way he thinks, about strategy, and leadership, but mostly about himself. He's genuine in his altruism which, like Scar says, makes it impossible to hate him. He's a Good Guy. Plus, who wouldn't fall for ovary-exploding dimples, right?

Scarlett
This sass queen is a Boss B*tch. She is completely unapologetic about who she is, and while she's sass and seductiveness on the surface, this is a woman who cares deeply about her friends. I really enjoy reading about the way her relationship with everyone develops - she makes everyone feel comfortable and it allows us to see them a little bit clearer, too. Total QUEEN.

Auri
Poor Auri is such a weapon that she doesn't get much personal time. She's shy and quiet and lost but now she's being asked to step up and be something more. Thankfully we have the blossoming relationship with Kal to show us a little bit of who Auri is, and what drives her, and give us hints at who she might have been 200+ years ago. I find myself feeling really sorry for her, but at the same time admiring her determination to do the right thing.

Kal
Naturally I love Kal because he's the closest thing to a Bad Boy that this squad gets. He's definitely the Strong and Silent type, but his relationship with Auri shows us his loyalty as well. He throws himself wholeheartedly into taking care of her, but he understands she has her own power, too. His presence is a comfort to Auri, and to me, too. It's just nice to know that he's around, ready to go psycho-savage warrior the instant our squad is threatened.

Zila
I really liked getting to know Zila a little better here. Finally we're learning why she's so closed off, and why she thinks the way she does. I loved being let into her heart a little bit, and seeing her soften. Plus she's one heck of a driver, am I right?

Finian
I have a surprising amount of love for this snarky lil dude, who was close to grating in the first book. Again, having his POV allows us past the outer shell to see why he says and does things, and this is a helpful tool in making me love people. He's the comic relief, and it's a job he takes seriously.

Kat
... I CAN'T EVEN.

Saedii
Let's face it. Without the actual murdering of people, this is EXACTLY the kind of don't-take-crap-from-anyone, I-will-murder-you-if-you-touch-me, totally BADASS woman I aspire to be.

THIS IS MY MOTLEY CREW AND I LOVE THEM WITH ALL MY HEART.

They do cool space stuff that involves stealing things (again), being chased, clever plans, daring deeds, heroic moments, alien encounters, training montages, and just a whole lot of having no freaking clue what is going on but struggling along the best they can anyway. This is why I love them.

No complaints from me. Oh except maybe one tiiiiiny spoiler complaint:
(view spoiler)

Ok that's it! I think I did better reviewing this one, yes? More sense? More logic? Maybe? :)

***

Review for Aurora Rising HERE

View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I so have to read this book! You sound so enthusiastic about it! Also btw I love your blog name, mythology is so interesting!
    ~Anni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a fun series! Highly recommend! And thank you 😊

      Delete