Beautiful Ugly by Alice FeeneyMy rating: 3 of 5 stars
Definitely went in a direction I wasn't expecting.
An author's wife goes missing, and a year later his chronic writer's block sees him retreat to a secluded island to try and finish his book. But not everything on this island is as it seems ...
A fun start but I must confess, I did not like Grady from the beginning. He struck me as arrogant and petulant, but I suppose that was the point. As strange things begin to happen, you kind of feel like he deserves it a bit, so it's an interesting perspective. He definitely rubbed me the wrong way!
The pace is solid, with plenty of strange occurrences and moments that keep you guessing. Characters are unique, though they're relatively familiar.
I think its weakness lies in its conclusion, as it all seemed a little far-fetched to me. I wanted better explanations, and this let me down.
Still, a twisty thriller that will keep you guessing, and an easy read. Crime fans should still enjoy it.
View all my reviews
No comments:
Post a Comment