Saturday, 15 August 2026

Review: The Makoto Murders

The Makoto Murders The Makoto Murders by Richard Jerram
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Narrated by David Lee Huynh
Presented by Dreamscape Media


Odd and uncomfortable, but fun for exactly that reason!

I get the Dexter comparisons - this book is told by a serial killer who just wants to be loved and admired again for his photography. Cannot see anything wrong with that, nor the stalking of a friend's ex-wife. Poor guy.

Obviously, he's a psychopath.

It's an interesting story because it's told from the point of view of this loathsome guy, who clearly can't see anything wrong with his very wrong actions. There's no sympathy, of course - just more this baffling understanding that, wow, this guy really has no idea he's awful??? As the story progresses, we learn more from his unreliable narration and form a better understanding of what drives him.

I liked reading from this perspective - it made things a lot more fun. At the same time, there's nothing to like about this guy and there's no sympathy for the victims by nature of the narration, so it feels a bit disappointing. It's hard to really enjoy a book when you don't like the main character.

The narrator did a great job differentiating between characters, and adding excitement to the delivery. Pace was decent and his voice was entertaining.

It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but it was still a fun crime story from the perspective of a killer, making it different to the normal fare. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as gripping as I wanted it to be. Still, I'd recommend it for crime fans looking for a fresh perspective, and fans of Dexter in particular should appreciate it.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment