Saturday 11 May 2019

Challenge Review: Jasper Jones

My #dymocks52challenge book 5/38, for week 19.

Title: Jasper Jones

Author: Craig Silvey (AA)
Published: 31/3/09
First appearance in 101: 2011 (#51)
Years in 101: 9
2019 101 ranking: #28
Rating:  2 stars

Why I chose this book:

Another novel unshakeable from the Top 101. The blurb promised secrets and lies and a 'horrible discovery' which honestly made it sound hard to hate. Plus it seems to be building its reputation as an Aussie classic, so I couldn't avoid it forever.

Thoughts:

Tragically disappointing. Far too long winded for me! It does a lot of talking meaning there's far less room for action. This one is for the thinkers; people who want to mull over how despicable people can be. I'd rather a decent story, thanks.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?

Maybe it speaks to my fellow Aussies because it is so true blue. It's coarse and rugged and very classic Australian in the setting, the words, the people. Maybe that's why people think it's so great. It talks about some tough issues but doesn't really settle on a solution or offer interesting views - it just questions. So to me, this was a pretty disappointing read. It's a no from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment