Sunday 5 May 2019

Challenge Review: Simon VS The Homo Sapiens Agenda

My #dymocks52challenge book 4/38, for week 18.

Title: Simon VS The Homo Sapiens Agend
Series: Creekwood #1
Author: Becky Albertalli
Published: 7/4/15
First appearance in 101: 2018 (#38)
Years in 101: 2
2019 101 ranking: #51
Rating: 4 stars


Why I chose this book:

Firstly, it's Young Adult. I have a habit of finishing good YA in a day or two so I wanted this for when I'd spent too much of the week on non-challenge reads (I finished two other books this week, whoops). Read this in a day so it served its purpose. I also chose it because I very rarely encounter books with gay main characters, so I knew this would be something different to what I was used to, and possibly even make me feel uncomfortable in my naivety.

Thoughts:

It was quirky and awkward and hard not to love. Simon is such a typical teenager and you kinda feel for him even though at times you wanna whack him on the back of the head. It was a quick, easy read that provided a little insight into the life of a gay teenager struggling with identity.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.



Verdict: Was it worthy?

Hmm. I mean, aside from Simon being gay, it's a pretty classic teenage rom com. So I don't know that it is anything particularly ground breaking but I am glad it's so loved. Homophobia is still far too common so I think honest books like this go a long way to encouraging acceptance and helping the ignorant to understand that sexuality isn't a case of right or wrong, it just IS. People are people. That's all there is to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment