Monday 27 May 2019

Review: How It Feels to Float

How It Feels to Float How It Feels to Float by Helena Fox
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Yes look okay this hurt my heart and that is all.

I am going away for four days and maybe when I get back I will have sense but right now my words are broken like in this book that had weird formatting
and long sentences
that had
no punctuation
but punctured my heart anyway.

***

Okay so I've had my four days of craziness to process this one and I'm ready to make a bit more sense!

The metal illness rep here is ridiculously powerful. This book could not have been written by someone who has not experienced something like what Biz is going through. It's heartbreaking, but the way it's told makes it a little hard to follow which is pretty accurate because mental illnesses are heavily misunderstood. Even the people experiencing them might not realise what's happening to them, why they feel or think or say or do things. So it's quite clever in the way its been presented, but if you're the kind of person who is picky about punctuation and sentences etc. having their proper format this may bug you slightly.

It is a little quirky but there's this overwhelming sadness to the whole book that kind of makes the quirky concerning more than cute. These are some deep themes, so you need to appreciate that.

I'm not entirely sure what the deal was with Grace at the start, that seemed a bit out of place in this story to me, but I did really like the relationship between her and Jasper, and how it played out. A story this depressing really needs supporting characters to lighten the load a bit and he was that light for me.

I don't know why there are so many depressing books coming out lately and I don't know why I keep reading them! But even though they kinda make me miserable while I'm reading them, they've all been pretty impressive. This one was no different.

I do recommend this but there's a bunch of triggers in here, too, so check the warnings if you've got your own stuff going on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment