Friday 8 May 2020

Dymocks 2020 Challenge Highlights

So we've been at it for four months so far.

With 26 books to read in total, we should be into our 10th read for the challenge. How are you tracking?

Here's what I've read so far:


  1.  The Girl Who Reads on the Metro by Christine Feret-Fleury (About books) Review Here (3 stars)
  2. Catching Teller Crow by Ambelin & Ezekiel Kwaymullina (AA) (Indigenous Author) Review Here (3 stars)
  3. One Last Child by Anni Taylor (AA) (Mystery/Thriller) Review Here (4 stars)
  4. A Sceptic's Search for Meaning by Mike Willesee (AA) (Memoir) Review Here (5 stars)
  5. Weapon by Lynette Noni (AA) (Read in a day) Review Here (4 stars)
  6. Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (AA) (Award winner) Review Here (4 stars)
  7. Challenge Accepted by Celeste Barber (AA) (Makes me laugh) Review Here (4 stars)
  8. You by Caroline Kepnes (Adapted to film/TV series) Review Here (4 stars)
  9. House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas (Dymocks 'Book of the Month' for March) Review Here (4 stars)
  10. Josephine's Garden by Stephanie Parkyn (AA) (Featuring favourite country, France) Review Here (3 stars)
  11. Four Dead Queens by Astrid Scholte (AA) (Australian Author) Review Here (2 stars)
  12. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black (From Top 101) Review Here (2 stars)
So tracking just a little ahead of schedule!

I've probably read a few books that match some of the other prompts but I wanted to stay true to my list with this one, since that's the whole point of a challenge! This lot has been a mixed bag so far - some I expected to love ended up disappointing, and others I expected not to like so much blew me away.

Highlights: A Sceptic's Search for Meaning has been my only 5-star read so far, and it was completely unexpected. I didn't expect this one to move me as much as it did! It was such a beautiful story of faith, and I really enjoyed his story.

I also found myself thoroughly enjoying Gemina, which was a relief since the first book in the series disappointed me a little.This one came on strong with all of my favourite things, so it was a nice easy read. It was amongst a run of solid 4-star reads so that was a good time for me!

Unfortunately, the last few have been books I expected more from. Four Dead Queens scrimped a little too much on the world-building for my tastes and ended up being rather dull, and The Cruel Prince was dark and disturbing in all the wrong places. 

I've got some great reads coming up that I'm really looking forward to, but since I'm near the halfway mark I think it's time to treat myself with re-reading my favourite book. So The Three Musketeers is up next!

I've also been working on Mao's Last Dancer rather slowly, since it's quite a dense book with a lot of politics and poverty - two of my least favourite things to read about. I'm determined to get through it though! 

Here's the list of what I have left:

  1. Kid's Top 51: Withering by Sea by Judith Rossell (AA)
  2. Re-read favourite book of all time: The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
  3. Friend's recommendation: Mao's Last Dancer by Cunxin Li (AA)
  4. From TBR pile: North Star Guide Me Home by Jo Spurrier (AA)
  5. Outside usual genre: Entranced by Nora Roberts
  6. Short stories: Saga Land by Richard Fidler & Kari Gislason (AA)
  7. Self Help/Motivation: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
  8. Fairytale/Fable adaptation: Beauty in Thorns by Kate Forsyth (AA)
  9. Book 1 in Fantasy series: Midnight Never Come by Marie Brennan
  10. Teaches something new: The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
  11. Red cover: Cherry Pie by Leigh Redhead (AA)
  12. Colour in title: Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel
  13. Published this year: Aurora Burning by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (AA)
  14. Said I've read but haven't: Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
On we go! Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment