Friday 9 July 2021

Review: The Guilt Trip

The Guilt Trip The Guilt Trip by Sandie Jones
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Highly addictive and super twisted. Painful how deceitful these characters are, really!

The 'body' the blurb mentions is a bit slow to drop, though.

The setup: A group of five friends is about to become six, as they all travel to Portugal for Will and Ali's wedding. Ali seems perfectly nice - if a bit of a drama queen - but as their weekend away progresses, secrets and lies begin to whirl around leading to all kinds of drama.

The blurb definitely talks it up like we're gonna have a murder on our hands soon, but this is more about not really knowing who is hiding what, who's lying, who's right and wrong, etc. Rachel is our main focus point of the group and because she has her own secrets, she sees lies at every turn, which makes this kind of stressful. She jumps to all kinds of conclusions and it frustrated me so much but at the same time, I was so addicted to the drama.

Things naturally escalate, and waiting for the body the blurb promised causes some extra tension which was actually quite enjoyable. So often I'm disappointed by the ending of crime/suspense novels but this one just kept dropping so many surprises it was impossible to keep up.

The writing did seem a little harsh at times, with reveals coming so suddenly I had to re-read the sentence just to double check it meant what I thought it meant. It skimped on flow in favour of shock value, which didn't quite work for me.

The characters are all pretty average and I'm not sure that I'd really want any of them as friends, to be honest. But their drama kept this story rather interesting and I found it hard to put down.

An addictive, suspenseful novel that will keep you guessing. Highly recommend.

With thanks to Macmillan for a copy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment