Friday 23 July 2021

Review: Loving Lizzie March

Loving Lizzie March Loving Lizzie March by Susannah Hardy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lizzie March: An idiot, but an ultimately loveable idiot.

Honestly, what a trainwreck this girl is! I thought I would hate her and loathe her ridiculous, over-the-top behaviour, but somehow she managed to win me over.

Here's the lowdown: Lizzie is searching for The One, and after a one night stand with her colleague, Jake, she's pretty convinced she's found him. Then she gets the news that she's carrying his baby, and now all that's left to do is convince him of the same and they can have their Happily Ever After.

Obviously, Lizzie is slightly deluded.

I think the crazy behaviour didn't offend me as much as I expected it to because the motivations are clear, and they're very pure-hearted. Don't we all just want to be loved, and love in return? She knows what she wants and she's not afraid to go after it. Plus, she's got her bestie, Clem, saying all the things we wish we could say.

I really enjoyed how the story unravelled. It wasn't too predictable, and it went on a lovely winding journey that truly allowed Lizzie's character to grow. There were some fabulous side characters (I'm looking at you, Cherie) and Jake is such a mysterious character that you can't really tell where this whole thing with him is gonna go.

Lizzie takes everything in her stride, and even though she makes some dumb mistakes she still manages to make some power moves and you know that this is not a girl to be messed with. I started exasperated but I really did learn to love her very quickly and enjoyed her story immensely.

There are some deeper themes to this light-hearted romcom, so do be a little wary if you have triggers surrounding pregnancy/parenthood, but otherwise I do feel this a lovely, warm, quirky story that many will enjoy.

With thanks to Macmillan for an ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment