Friday 19 April 2019

Challenge Review: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine

My #dymocks52challenge book 2/38, for week 16.

Title: Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Author: Gail Honeyman
Published: 9/5/17
First appearance in 101: 2018 (#68)
Years in 101: 2
2019 101 ranking: #1
Rating: 4 stars

Why I chose this book:

This book came out on top for 2019 so it was going to be pretty close to the top of the pile. I like quirky protagonists and Eleanor really seemed to fit that description from the blurb. Plus seeing a lot of positive reviews on Goodreads is always going to leave an impression.

Thoughts:
Ah, now this was a tough one! It's a brilliantly written book but mostly it just hurt my heart. It covers some pretty interesting topics and ideas about society, but it's also kind of depressing. Eleanor's quirky lifestyle has grounding in a dysfunctional childhood and that bothered me. 

Reading this book made me sad and grumpy and overall wasn't a pleasant experience. But I can certainly understand why it's so loved! I don't regret reading it, but I definitely need a good horror or fantasy after reading this. Something that will allow me to disappear from reality again for a little while.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.

Verdict: Was it worthy?
Tough call. It's certainly a great book, even if it's not a very fun read. I don't think it's really #1 material with so many other brilliant books out there, but it IS a worthy addition to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment