Sunday 14 April 2019

Review: Sadie

Sadie Sadie by Courtney Summers
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Well f*ck me, this is 300 pages of depressing.

This is another one of those stories that is about the characters more than the actual story, and Sadie is a mess.

Did not enjoy.

'Enjoy' is a word that belongs nowhere near this depressing road trip.

Summary:
Reeling from the murder of her little sister, Sadie takes off. Next minute, she's missing. Some random stranger with a radio show puts himself on the case, so we get his journalistic descriptions split with Sadie's revenge adventure. Reventure? This girl is out for BLOOD. She tells us so repeatedly.

This is the kinda gritty and depressing that I would honestly rather avoid. I thought this would be a fascinating crime novel, a murder-mystery sort of deal, but instead it's all about how astonishingly shitty Sadie's life has been and how she's ended up on this bloodthirsty quest for vengeance. She's super tough and savage but on the inside is just this broken thing who is starved for love and honestly it just hurts my heart way too much to actually think about all of her pain so let me just say it made me feel really shitty and miserable and let's leave it at that.

This is a rip-your-heart-out-and-stomp-on-it kind of book.

F*ck you, Sadie.

I hated the radio segment bits, because I never really felt the emotion through it, so I imagine this may be one of those rare cases where the audio-book does a lot more work in getting readers invested. On paper, it was a clever idea but it really pulled things back a bit. I mean, I understand why it was done, and it has its own gut-wrenching effectiveness, but it just slowed things down a bit for me.

Honestly I just want to forget I ever read this book.

Way too painful.

But sweet jeezuz, if you want something that's going to tear you apart and get you thinking about the darkness that lurks ever-present in our world, knock yourselves out.

I'm DONE.

I think I need a hot shower, fluffy pyjamas, and a hug from my mum.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment