Sunday 14 April 2019

Challenge Review: Nevernight

Here we have it!

The first book of my refined #Dymocks52Challenge.

Title: Nevernight
Series: The Nevernight Chronicles (Book 1)
Author: Jay Kristoff (AA)
Published: 9/8/16
First appearance in 101: 2018 (#58)
Years in 101: 2
2019 101 ranking: #89
Rating: 5 stars

Why I chose this book:
I wanted to start with something fun, and this has been getting rave reviews on Goodreads for a while, now. I bought an earlier book by Jay Kristoff - Stormdancer - and never got into it enough to read more than a chapter or two so I've kind of been putting this series off.

However I LOVED The Starbound Trilogy by Aime Kaufman and Meagan Spooner so naturally I made my way to Illuminae by Kaufman and Kristoff and even though that was only a 3-star for me it made me think I should probably give Kristoff a second chance. Especially since assassins are maybe a little bit of a weakness for me. I LIKE CARNAGE AND MAYHEM OKAY.

Plus he's an Aussie Author so please respect my loyalty to my fellow Australians. :)

Thoughts:
Actually LOVED IT. It was dark and chaotic and all kinds of weird words and feelings and visuals telling this totally messed up story about a girl who wants to become a lethal assassin. The footnotes were a bit off-putting to begin with but they can be easily skipped.They provide a little more world-building, and were humorous enough for me to not abandon them. They also lessened up about halfway through.

It's not for the faint of heart, because it does go into sordid details with a lot of things, and there is swearing and vulgarity and bits and pieces being chopped, mutilated, burned, flayed etc. It's probably the most assassin-y assassin book I've read recently.

But there's still heart here, and fun characters and hijinks and hilarity and if you're okay with people learning how to kill other people then this should be a lot of fun.

You can read my full Goodreads review here.

Verdict: Was it worthy?
Absolutely. This is a unique book that will appeal to many who are looking for something gritty, with stunningly visual language and a fantasy world dominated by darkness and villains.

If you're easily offended, though, you may want to avoid this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment