Sunday 28 April 2019

Challenge Review: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


My #dymocks52challenge book 3/38, for week 17.

Title: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Author: Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows
Published: 10/7/08
First appearance in 101: 2010 (#37)
Years in 101: 9
2019 101 ranking: #20
Rating: 4 stars

Why I chose this book:

This is one that repeatedly appears on the 101 list. My list was only formed based on the previous five years, but it turns out this little novel has only missed out in 2016 since the list began back in 2010! Helps that this was donated to me by my dad, who rather enjoyed it himself I believe.

Thoughts:
I normally hate war stories meaning this one never interested me, so we have our first thank you owed to The List! It was a lot happier than I was expecting! Sentimental stuff, country bumpkin type characters, but it's got a homey sort of charm to it. I was pleasantly surprised. Lucky for me not a whole lot of detail on the war setting, making this more chick-lit than historical fiction in my opinion.

I still really, really hate that title,though.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.

Verdict: Was it worthy?

I liked the story well enough, but it didn't strike me as anything particularly special. I can see it being enjoyed when it was first published, but I'm actually astonished that it's endured so long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment