Thursday 9 May 2024

Review: Bad Men

Bad Men Bad Men by Julie Mae Cohen
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Nathalie Buscombe
Presented by RB Media


This was good fun!

A feminist novel about murder and mayhem - yes please!

The story sees serial killer Saffy taking a break to find love - and she'll do whatever it takes to bag him.

A truly intriguing premise, and I loved getting to know the characters. Saffy is smart and sassy, and makes some wise observations from the female viewpoint. Jon is an interesting fellow, and the two together make an interesting couple.

There are some clever, tongue-in-cheek moments, and a great blend of action, story and character development.

Narration was fantastic - Saffy's accent put me off at the start, but references to it in the text helped out a bit there. Otherwise it was lively and fun, and easy to differentiate between characters.

There's a fun crime story here, but the feminist stuff often caught me by surprise and actually boosted the story for me. It was quite subtle, but hit home when things came up. So bonus points there from me.

Delivery was excellent, and I think there'd be extra enjoyment in reading this one physically, just based on the structure at times. I really enjoyed the audio, but I think physical suits this book.

Highly recommend for crime fans looking for something a bit different!

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment