Saturday 18 May 2024

Review: The Devil's Best Trick: How the Face of Evil Disappeared

The Devil's Best Trick: How the Face of Evil Disappeared The Devil's Best Trick: How the Face of Evil Disappeared by Randall Sullivan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Narrated by Lane Hakel
Presented by Dreamscape Media


Wow this was riveting! I'd happily listen to it again.

There's a lot in this, but it's very well put together. It discusses a broad range of topics that feature evil and the Devil, but it keeps things neat and tidy on delivery. It's bookended by the author's personal experience in Mexico with the "Hour of the Witches" ceremony, and tied together throughout with the story of Tate Rowland and his mysterious death, thought to be linked to cult activity.

I was absolutely fascinated with the main story, and will definitely be looking for more information on the murder! I also really enjoyed the discussion of evil/the devil in literature (fancy that) and thought it was really well researched.

It covers such a broad spectrum and at times I did zone out a little (particularly when it was heavily religious) but that said there were also a lot of times I had to go back because I'd missed something.

The narration was fantastic - presented really well, clear and easy to follow. It kept me entertained and, as mentioned, I'd easily listen to it again. I do feel this is one that would convey more on a second read, so I'll probably look at getting a physical copy if I can.

A fascinating look at the subject material. Well written and cleverly structured. I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in the subject material.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment