Monday 6 May 2024

Review: Lift: The Rise of Mathe-Lingua-Musica

Lift: The Rise of Mathe-Lingua-Musica Lift: The Rise of Mathe-Lingua-Musica by Ray K. Anderson
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Narrated by Cindy Kay
Presented by Dreamscape Media


Rubbish from start to finish.

The whole premise revolves around saving the world by creating a new language based on maths, linguistics and music. Which intrigued me but was actually so ridiculous, and was discussed in excruciatingly mundane detail.

It takes famous historical figures, implants them in the future to help solve this problem, and then treats them poorly. Zero respect for the actual people who contributed to changing the world for the better in their various fields. Also it was a revolving door of plucking people from the past and sending them back, which seemed like overkill to me.

The whole idea of ripping these people from their past lives with zero moral contemplation was incredibly frustrating. There was no decent reflection on how these people might feel; there was no compassion, there was no consideration. It was just, 'they took a week or so to adjust' and then 'when you go back this will be like a dream'. What a cop out. Maybe if you're using this idea, think about the consequences a little more.

The whole thing just made me so MAD!

There are also weird relationship dynamics and dolphins and the whole thing was so DULL I tuned most of it out. I was so bored.

I thought it was a cool idea but listening to it was really painful.

Narration was okay but there were so many characters they inevitably started to sound the same, and some of the voices were ridiculous.

There was just nothing about this book that I liked.

It's incredibly long, reads like a lecture, and none of the characters had me invested.

Maybe if you're into dull lectures on dull subjects, or dull characters doing dull things, you'll get a kick out of it, but it was not for me at all.

With thanks to NetGalley for an audio ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment