Sunday 10 March 2019

Review: Red Lotus

Red Lotus Red Lotus by Pai Kit Fai
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I've been reading this one on and off for one year and ten days now.

It's so loooooooong and sloooooooow and by the time I got to Part 2 I just wanted it to be over. So ...

DNF @ Page 263 (53%)

VOILA! It's over.

It's just so draining. It seems like it has an interesting story but it's so flowery and poetic and takes so damn long to say anything that it just became a chore to read. I found it so hard to pick up. I also really struggled with figuring out when it was set? I think it did eventually mention it somewhere but I honestly had no idea. There's a lot of info about the culture, in excruciating detail, and while you kinda feel sad for all that Li-Xia ha to go through, it's too long-winded to solidify the bond between character and reader.

This is one for the patient readers, who like to take their time and mull over pretty words. There IS an intriguing story here, but I just don't have the time or patience to tease it out of all the superfluous detail.

I'm as done as I'll ever be, I think.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment