Sunday 26 January 2020

Challenge Review: The Book Thief

My #dymocks52challenge book 28/38, for week 42.

Title: The Book Thief
Author: Markus Zuzak
Published: 1/9/05
First appearance in 101: 2008 (#27)
Years in 101: 11
2019 101 ranking: #4
Rating: 3 stars


Why I chose this book:
Um, have a look at that mammoth 101 streak! 11 years on the list! It's been on there every single time. As much as I've been avoiding this one, it was impossible to not include it in this challenge. When I realised I was ultimately going to fail the challenge, I knew I had to make a final push to get this one in.

Thoughts:
It's been raved about since publication, agreeing with my theory that people go nuts over war books. I avoid them where I can because I find them way too depressing, but this one surprised me by being okay. It wasn't as dreary as I was expecting, and the unique point of view kept things rather interesting. I liked it more than I thought I would.

You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
Of course it was. It was always going to be. I'm not going to argue with eleven years' worth of votes! As much as I hate war books, this was uniquely told, so that it's not all dark and depressing, but it still gets across the message that war books try to convey - the horrific pointlessness to it all. It's well-written and told with wit and ultimately is a worthy read for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment