Tuesday 14 January 2020

Review: Midnight in the Graveyard

Midnight in the Graveyard Midnight in the Graveyard by Kenneth W. Cain
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Alrighty!

Please see my status updates for brief feelings regarding each individual story, with the last three here, which I will spoiler tag for the sensitive souls:

(view spoiler)

This was such a great collection! Admittedly it took me a while, but I'm super slow with e-books. It was a guest author group read for HA and it was an immense amount of fun reading along with everyone and having insight from so many brilliant authors! On that note alone I can't recommend it enough - a great collection from a great bunch of people. Also some great stories behind the inspiration!

This collection is all about ghost stories - hauntings, mysterious deaths, revenge from the grave etc. I love me some ghost stories, so this was always going to be a win. Of course there were some stories that I loved and others that I didn't enjoy so much but overall this is just a fantastic compilation with great variety. There is something to suit all tastes - tension, violence, gore, spookiness, silent contemplation ... plenty to work with.

My highlights:
-Euphemia Christie
-Dog Days
-Those Who Are Terrified
-Russian Dollhouse
-The Graveyard
-Last Call at the Sudden Death Saloon
-Ghost Blood
-The Glimmer Girls
-New Blood, Old Skin
-Swamp Vengeance


I think Dog Days was the biggest standout because it left me wanting more - I would definitely read a full length novel with this plot!

I do feel that the first half of the book is the strongest, because it was one great read after another. They kinda slowed a bit towards the middle, and some were a bit too long-winded for me, making wait too long for the real action to start.

Least Faves:
-The Cemetery Man (way too kinky for me)
-Sawmill Road (I've seen too much Supernatural for this one to have made a big impact)
-Haunted World (how dare you give me that ending)
-The Gravedigger's Story (see point for Sawmill Road)

Overall this is a solid collection and I had a lot of fun reading it. It's the first time I've actually purchased an e-book and it was totally worth it.

If you're looking for an excellent anthology of ghost stories, look no further!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment