Wednesday 29 January 2020

Review: The Weekend

The Weekend The Weekend by Charlotte Wood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Firstly, this book is really depressing.

It's about old people, and as a 34 year-old who likes to complain about being old while secretly appreciating that I've still got a fairly long life ahead of me, this was a terrifying glimpse of a future I DO NOT WANT.

I'm gonna be straight up: getting old scares the crap out of me. But it scares me more to think that I could wind up like these old ladies, full of regrets and missed chances. Still waiting for my big break. Having forfeited true love. Wishing for times long past. THIS IS MY NIGHTMARE.

This book revolves around three friends - Jude, Wendy and Adele- who come together one weekend to clear out the house of their fourth friend, Sylvie, who has recently passed. We come to learn quite quickly that perfect Sylvie was sort of the glue who held them all together, and made them feel better about the lives they lived. Without her, they're starting to fall apart and their friendship is being tested.

These are very real characters. This is not a book about action, or about unexpected occurrences, or even second chances - it's just about life, and how sometimes it can get away from you faster than you realise. It's about three perfectly ordinary old women who are STILL trying to make sense of the world.

Like I said: depressing.

Yet at the same time there is realness here, and you know they're flawed but you also know they're stronger than they realise and they are going to be okay. I never really liked any of them, but I was definitely rooting for them because they are resilient and fiercely loyal. Remember back in the day how you'd talk smack about your siblings (perhaps you still do) but then one of your friends would insult the same sibling and you'd have none of it? 'Only I get to talk smack about my siblings!' That is the vibe with these three. I kinda liked that.

I wonder how older readers will receive this one. Will the way these characters talk about their aches and pains, their bodies, their memories, resonate? Will it be considered more humourous to those who relate? I once saw this movie, Something's Gotta Give, with my mum and my aunt, and it was about old people (and their sex lives) and it scarred me for life. I found it horrifying. But my mum and my aunt loved it, so much so that they STILL rave about it. I feel like this book might be a bit like that. Like, for me, it's a terrifying possibility of a future I don't want, but for others it may just be a comical, insightful story about ageing. Anyone wanna weigh in on that for me?

This is one of those rare times that I didn't really like the story or the characters all that much, but I really enjoyed the writing. I connected to it, and I felt honest feelings reading about these people. And Finn! OMG FINN! I am a dog person but I actually despised this stupid, pathetic dog, and I despise myself for despising him. So it's that kind of book, folks.

There's some really interesting ideas here but ultimately it's about friendship and solidarity, and figuring out what's important in life. It may have been depressing, but it's certainly inspired me to try and live a little harder.

With thanks to A&U for my ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment