Monday 13 January 2020

Review: Supernova

Supernova Supernova by Marissa Meyer
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

THIS HAS BEEN THE MOST INTENSE DAY OF READING I'VE HAD ALL YEAR.

WHAT A RUSH.

Where do I even start?

Obviously I loved it. The first two books set things up so well, so there were plenty of questions and theories waiting for answers and confrontations waiting to happen.

WARNING: This review contains spoilers for the first two books in the series.

Firstly, I was really glad this book contained gentle reminders of what happened in the last book(s) because it meant I didn't have to waste time trying to remember the important things. Sometimes you waste a couple chapters trying to get back into the flow of a story you haven't read in a year or so and it can be frustrating, whereas this throws you back in with all the important tidbits to make sure you're up to speed.

Then the action comes and it doesn't stop coming.

Nova is so badass, and she's determined to do what she thinks is right, no matter how many moral lines she has to cross. Poor, duped Adrian. She loves the guy, but she's still messing with that pretty head of his. Bless his determination to believe the best of everyone.

I really don't like Danna, and I wish there was more animosity between her and Nova but they're so damn forgiving. Blegh. But at least there is the nastiness between Nova and Magpie and that really makes my heart soar. It's a dynamic that was unexpected but I've grown to love it over these three books. Ruby and Oscar are adorable and funny and help lighten the mood when things are getting too serious. Ruby's brothers are a manic energy I can really get behind. Max is chill, and his childlike mind creates a strange balance to this world of violence.

When the Nightmare reveal came it was not nearly as dramatic as I was expecting, considering it's been building for two books. Everyone handled it much better than I thought they would. The council were douchebags, of course, but that's to be expected. Massive egos on that bunch of weirdos.

There were also some really interesting answers to burning questions and I am happy to finally have closure. It was a fun journey to kinda experience the unfolding of all the secrets and lies, particularly since it was peppered through all the action. There were no annoying walls of explanations or long-winded speeches. Everything was revealed so naturally.

This book is also an adventure in its own right. There are more barriers to overcome and Nova and Adrian both have a few things they need to work out about how they see the world. That's something I've really enjoyed over the course of this series - the heroes vs the villains and all of the grey in between. Right and wrong and who decides what that is. What makes people special, what makes a hero. Big questions with no clear answers.

The drama got pretty intense and there was a lot that I was definitely not expecting that tugged my heart a bit! It was such a fun romp that I wasn't expecting to feel so much. Why you make me get all attached, Marissa Meyer?

But fear not - there is still a ton of action with explosions, fight scenes, chases, etc so you will definitely not get bored or waste too much time sitting around contemplating your feelings.

A worthy conclusion to the series, but one that definitely leaves it open for a spin-off, which I 1000% support. Bring me those dastardly villains and their plots any time.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment