Tuesday 7 January 2020

Review: Oasis: A Novel

Oasis: A Novel Oasis: A Novel by Katya de Becerra
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Okay.

I have no idea what just happened but that was a freaking WILD RIDE.

I mean ...

Wow.

So you've got this bunch of kids who are off to the desert for some archaeology fun but then there's a sandstorm, they get stuck wandering the desert and suddenly happen upon an oasis that should most definitely not be there. Freakiness ensues.

Let's start with the kids.

Alif - an interesting narrator. She's pretty honest, even if things get a little messy in that head of hers. I liked her, and that she was kind of a peacekeeper without being a total doormat.

Tommy - Yeahhhh alright it didn't take me long to warm up to him. Strong silent type here. Totally dreamy.

Minh - I feel like she had the most balls of the group, to be honest. No time for your BS. She is good people.

Lori - Look she was kinda annoying but I think she was supposed to be? Classic giggler who cares more about boys and looking good for boys than anything else. But she was plenty distracted by Rowen so I didn't really have to put up with her too much.

Rowen - Neutral feels. He seemed okay to me but, again, was too distracted wooing Lori to make much of a ruckus.

Luke - Oh how I loathed Luke. Luke is the kinda guy who thinks he deserves whatever he wants, just because he wants it really bad. WRONG. Take your ego and your entitlement and your ASSHOLERY out into the desert and keep walking until you crumble into the nothingness you really are.

In short: not my fave.

It takes a minute or two to find our way into the Oasis but once we do, buckle up for a strange, strange ride. Something alien appears to be messing with these kids and you never know what it's gonna do next.

But is it really alien? Is it heatstroke? Is it all a dream? What the heck is really going on here??!

This kept me on edge the entire time, trying to figure out who was messing with whom, and who was the sinister mastermind if there was one. There's so much strangeness that every time you think you've got something figured out, it changes again.

What a nail-biter.

Definitely a unique read with some crazy twists and turns that would make anyone carsick. The character dynamics are fascinating to witness - particularly as they unravel - and the whole thing is shrouded in mystery. Honestly found it hard to put down.

Highly recommend this one if you're keen for something unusual brimming with suspense that will keep you guessing until the very last page.

With thanks to Macmillan for my uncorrected proof ARC

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment