Saturday 18 January 2020

Review: Jar of Hearts

Jar of Hearts Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

OH MY GOD THIS WAS GOOD.

What an absolute heartbreaker of a novel!

I paid 5 bucks for this book, I was honestly not expecting to be so blown away.

Plot: Geo's ex-boyfriend has finally been outed as a serial killer, and she's in trouble for helping him out all those years ago. She's gotta do her time, then get back into the world and try to atone for things. Unfortunately he's escaped prison and suddenly bodies start turning up in a manner that seems awfully familiar ...

WOW. I mean ... WOW.

Okay, firstly ... alllllllllll the trigger warnings. I mean ALL. Basically, if you are someone who needs trigger warnings, stay the heck away from this disaster. And I say disaster with love and affection because boy did it steal my heart just to break it and then sticky tape it together again. But there is some tough content here so be careful my more fragile friends.

I was gripped from page one and it just never let up, so I finished it in less than a day. The pacing was incredible and it gave me a taste of so many things while leaving enough mystery to have me turning pages obsessively. I figured things out only when I was supposed to, and my emotions were all over the place being dragged up, down and sideways on this rollercoaster. I felt everything these characters felt, and there was so much grey to humanise everyone which was so important for this story. It's a novel about a serial killer but there's no black and white heroes and villains. I loved that.

Geo has a really tough time. I felt so much for her. We get to share a bit of her prison time and it really is no fun at all. And she has such a good heart and so much pain that my heart just breaks for her. Her story was a powerful one, and it asks a lot of questions that may make you feel uncomfortable.

The characters are brilliantly developed, and you've got detective Kaiser with his heart of gold to add a little light to all the darkness, although even he isn't perfect. He's a faint suggestion of hope, though, and that is so incredibly important to this story.

I really loved it, even though it broke my heart. It was one of the most intense thrillers I've read in a while, and if I were ever going to break tradition and give five stars to a crime novel, this would be it.

Fans of crime, suspense, thrillers etc should definitely get acquainted with this novel, because it's truly brilliant. WHAT A RUSH.

Damnnnn this review is like my own lil jar of hearts, look at them all XD <3

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment