Sunday 18 August 2019

Challenge Review: Fight Like A Girl

My #dymocks52challenge book 19/38, for week 33.

Title: Fight Like a Girl
Author: Clementine Ford (AA)
Published: 28/9/16
First appearance in 101: 2017 (#43)
Years in 101: 2
2019 101 ranking: #2
Rating: 1 star


Why I chose this book:
Hooray feminism! As a girl who enjoys fighting (literally) and believes in gender equality (and human equality, really) I was really looking forward to a book that inspires women to stand up for themselves and not back down. This one is nice and recent and definitely appeals to modern ideals so I had to read it.

Thoughts:

Oh my lord. Talk about disappointing. This was my very first DNF of the challenge and I'm so glad I gave myself the DNF out at 50% because this was hard to choke down after only a chapter or two. It's vulgar, coarse, rude and bitter and so full of anger at the world. The message she's trying to get across is so important but it was utterly lost to me because of the feisty way she chose to deliver it. Not my thing at all; it really hurt my heart to read as much as I did. DNF @ 55%
You can read my full review on Goodreads here.


Verdict: Was it worthy?
This book, in my opinion, is everything that's wrong with the feminist movement. It spends so much time being angry and bitter that it alienates anyone who isn't of the same feisty opinions. While the message of fighting for equality, and to be yourself unconditionally, is so incredibly vital, the way it was delivered here will leave a bitter taste in a lot of mouths, and possibly do more harm than good. I hope this disappears from the list soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment